Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Channeling Sybil

About a month ago, B and I took a personality test online. Because I had taken one in the past, I thought I knew which category I was going to end up in but about half way through I figured out real quick that I didn't know myself as well as I thought! You see, I'm a pretty outgoing person, I love being around people, I love to talk, and if you know me (which most of you-if not all of you- reading this do) this is no surprise to you. However...when I began adding up the scores I was shocked to discover I have a split personality! 50-50 right down the middle, and get this - I'm split between Sanguine and Melancholy! WHAT??!! I have to say the melancholy threw me for a loop at first, but the more I have thought about it, it is absolutely true! Yes, there is a big part of me that loves people, loves to laugh and make
people laugh, be spontaneous and loves to go to parties and just have fun...however, there is also a big part of me that loves quiet, order, to be alone and still. I think what has happened all of these years is that the other side of my personality was so "big" that it demanded most of my attention, and frankly, I felt like that is why most people liked me and what they expected from me. I am now learning to embrace my true self...who I am in Christ, that is. He made me and He doesn't make mistakes, so obviously He has a purpose in these two aspects of my personality that He wants to use for His glory.

During this time of year the struggle between my "split personality" starts to heat up. The Sanguine side of me loves the festive celebration, the parties, the shopping, the fun of it all, the Melancholy side - not so much. That side wants to snuggle up on my couch, surrounded by my perfectly cleaned house, sip a hot cup of coffee while (with no phone ringing in the background) I have a long quiet time with my Lord.

So what's a girl to do?? Here's what I felt the Lord telling me today...embrace it. Embrace the marvelous and wonderful way He made me, because here's the truth of it all...without my Sanguine side, I would be missing out on one of the best parts of my life here on this Earth - relationships. I would be missing out on all the laughter and warmth that comes from the people He has brought into my life. I would miss out on the opportunity to speak kindness into a overworked sales-clerks life, or to give a smile to a lonely stranger. Without my Melancholy side, I would be missing out on the peaceful moments with my Savior that breathe the very life into my tired bones. I would miss out on the still small voice that whispers encouragement, strength and love into my Spirit, and I would miss the quiet moments with my children when I get glimpses into their precious little souls.

Balance. Only by the power of His Spirit.

So go take the test...you may not know yourself as well as you think you do! hee hee!

2 comments:

pmartin said...

Split personality?? Heeheeheehee...
Oooh...I can't wait to take the test!
It was wonderful seeing you and the family!
Love ya! Paige

Kthed said...

Good post! I loved reading it!